Today's graduation ceremony was a landmark for the 494 new Marines of Mike Company, 3rd Recruit Training Battalion.
Among the new Marines are these distinguished graduates:
· Pfc. Donald Kiser – Bulls Gap, Tenn. – Honor Graduate, Platoon 3080
· Pfc. Colten Winters – London, Ohio – Honor Graduate, Platoon 3081
· Pfc. Heylel Jose Herrera – Fort Lauderdale, Fla. – Honor Graduate, Platoon 3082
· Pfc. Nathanael Aponte – Fitchburg, Mass. – Honor Graduate, Platoon 3084
· Pfc. Steven Whang – Bronx, N.Y. – Honor Graduate, Platoon 3085
· Pfc. Blake Cunningham – Fairview, N.C. – Honor Graduate, Platoon 3086
· Pfc. Rodger Leggett Jr. – Nanticoke, Md. – High Shooter, Platoon 3085
· Pfc. Jacob Garrett – Akron, Ohio – High PFT/CFT, Platoon 3081
Each new Marine persevered through 70 training days while passing each of the seven graduation requirements.
Additionally, before earning citizenship, applicants must demonstrate knowledge of the English language and American government, show good moral character and take the Oath of Allegiance to the U.S. Constitution.
Parris Island has been the site of Marine Corps recruit training since Nov. 1, 1915. Today, approximately 19,000 recruits come to Parris Island annually for the chance to become United States Marines by enduring 12 weeks of rigorous, transformative training. Parris Island is home to entry– level enlisted training for approximately 49 percent of male recruits and 100 percent of female recruits in the Marine Corps.