Parris Island , South Carolina, consists of 8,095 acres, of which only 3,262 are habitable. The remaining acres are primarily salt marsh.
Enlisted male training began here in November 1915. Enlisted female training began here in February 1949.
Marines have trained on the Depot during each major conflict of the 20th and 21st century:
- World War I – 41,000 recruits
- World War II – 205,000 recruits
- Korean War – 138,000 recruits
- Vietnam War – 250,000 recruits
- Operation Desert Shield & Operation Desert Storm (Kuwait)
- Operation Restore Hope (Somalia)
- Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (Iraq) - 160,000 recruits
Economic Impact Reports